In the Spring of 2019, I will be the instructor for MAN 4723 – Strategic Management (# 15953).
My office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1030-1130 and by appointment.
All required materials will be posted at the UF e-learning site.
In this section, I may post news or research articles that are relevant to the class and that may be of interest to you, but by no means necessary.
- Apple and its external environment – “is iPhone the next Polaroid, Walkman or Palm Pilot?”
- What contributed to American Airline’s profit in 2018 (the airline industry case)- “American Airline Posts Profit on Higher Revenue, Despite Fuel-Cost Pressure”
- Surviving the decline of the toy industry (resources and capabilities lecture) – “Mattel, Hasbro Stung by Collapse of Toys `R’ US”
- The link between external environment and corporate strategy (resources and capabilities lecture) – “Amazon Cancels HQ2 Plans in New York City
- Product differentiation in response to sliding sales (competitive advantage in mature industries) – “Samsung Echoes Apple’s Smartphone Strategy With Expanded New Lineup (also features information on a foldable-screen smartphone called “Galaxy Fold”)
- Should we anticipate industry disruption? (industry cycle and evolution) – “Daimler and BMW announce $1.1 billion partnership in a bid to take on Uber”
- From the retail king to bankruptcy (industry cycle and evolution) – “How Sears Lost the American Shoppers”
- Apple comes out of its comfort zone and look for growth potentials (diversification strategy) – “With the iPhone Sputtering, Apple Bets Its Future on TV and News”