The 2014 China Retail Study Tour trip was led by Dr. Hyunjoo Oh, and Lesley Harris. The tour took place from May 11th to May 29th, with 15 students and faculty members visiting the cities of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Beijing. Prior to the trip, the group attended a pre-trip course at UF to learn about international business, the business environment in China, the background of the companies that would be visited, and some culture and survival language.
Companies visited include:
- JCPenney, Ocean Park, DFS Group Limited, and Dick’s Sporting Goods in Hong Kong
- Umbra in Shenzhen
- Brown Shoes-Leeway in Dongguan
- U.S. Commercial Service Office, Chimelong Group, Starwood Hotel Call Center, and Y&R in Guangzhou
- City Shop, Baosteel, Online Design Ltd., Jack Wolfskin, UCCAL Fashion Group, and Outback Steakhouse in Shanghai
- Hyundai, Right at Home, 51Ants, Olympic Management Center, Zhongguancun Science Park, JD.com, and Perry Ellis in Beijing
Cities were chosen to give the students a more developed understanding of how the tiered-system works, the economic opportunities in China, and how people and businesses are being affected by all the transitioning taking place to advance China’s economy. Students were able to notice the differences in language, culture, food preferences, transportation methods, city infrastructure, and current degree of westernization when traveling from Southeast China to the capital in the North. Additionally, students had the opportunity to visit numerous locations of historical significance to learn about history and culture, helping them to further understand the development China has gone through.
Special thanks to Dr. Oh, Lesley Harris, ChinaSense, all the company executives who took time to meet with the group, and the students for making the trip meaningful, unforgettable, engaging, and exciting!